Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Infected with smiles: my happy ending

My internship in Gulu ended with a bang.

On Friday, Aug. 5, 2011, the TAKS Art Centre hosted the first ever Poet's Night Out, and I had the privilege of watching the success of a dear friend.

During my two weeks working at TAKS, I helped a local young poet named Joseph.

Joseph appeared at the center on my first day and explained his dream for a monthly open-mic night.

He wanted to provide local poets and musicians with a channel to the Gulu community, giving them the exposure and encouragement they need to continue expressing themselves through words and song.

Over the course of the next two weeks, I watched as Joseph's organization savvy brought a variety of characters to the center.

These young artists injected TAKS with vitality and me with inspiration. The Poet's Night Out represented the essential purpose of the TAKS Centre: providing the community with a space for creativity and expression.

The event was a huge success.
The line-up featured poets, break dancers, storytellers and musicians from all different backgrounds, heading completely different directions but meeting for one brief moment at a crossroads.

The Ugandan youth I encountered at TAKS through my work with Joseph have an infectious energy that slapped me across the face.

The jolt was just what I needed, and I discovered something powerful and precious in these young artists: hope.

The name "TAKS" stands for "Through Art Keep Smiling," and my internship there left me grinning so much my cheeks are sore.

Poet's Night Out at the TAKS Art Centre, Gulu

No comments:

Post a Comment