Sunday, July 21, 2013

Getting Settled


During one of our last few classes, the group enjoyed a "Survivors Speak" panel, during which we were able to experience personal accounts of both tragedy and endurance during the 22 year war and after.

During the first few days of my internship I became an apprentice for a day (although not of my my own accord) to this lovely woman, Rebecca. She sorts and distributes large quantities of fish, yes- stinky fish- in the market. 
Although it's not what I had imagined I would be doing as an intern at a community arts center (and as a vegetarian) I certainly still enjoyed getting to know the women.
The ladies in the market have a remarkable process and work extremely hard every day in order to make a living for themselves and their families.
At the end of distribution, we finished the day off by crunching numbers manually to make sure everything added up correctly... It reminded me of how long it's been since I've had to do that much math in my head.
Also as a part of my internship, I had the chance to visit a friend's local village. Everyone there was incredibly welcoming and kind.
They even taught me how to grind "sim sim," a type of grain, into flour using their traditional method of stone on stone grinding.

I also got to see how they finish their huts in order to keep the clay floor from breaking up; a process which requires smearing cow dung on the floor. Too much info? Surprisingly, it didn't smell!
On the way home from the village I was given the opportunity to see a professional pot maker during her process from start to finish.
She is able to create these incredible pots from natural clay from the ground, which she mixes with water and pounds until it is the consistency she prefers. 

Then, without even a wheel or kiln, these immaculate pots are formed with effortless precision.

It has been so amazing to experience life as it is here, to get out of the city and be welcomed into someone's home that you've only just met. That is the simplicity of life here. Although complex below the surface, these local families consistently show effortless happiness and hospitality to newcomers like us. With love from Gulu, Apwoyo!

No comments:

Post a Comment