Sunday, July 20, 2014

Our Time at TAKS

As I walked up to TAKS Art Centre on the first day of class, the venue for the lecture portion of the course, I was immediately intrigued. The place seemed to radiate creativity and ingenuity without even setting foot inside the building. The first thing I saw was a very detailed and impressive portrait of Nelson Mandela on the front of the white building. I knew without question that TAKS Art Centre's philosophy and beliefs would closely mirror those of Mandela. Graffiti with Acholi words like “kuc” meaning peace and were sprayed upon the long brick wall that bordered the side of the property.


We made our way inside and were welcomed by the very passionate and charismatic potter and TAKS owner, David Odwar. He gave us a tour of the TAKS building and community while explaining to us all the resources and activities that TAKS provides for the community. The centre equips the community by offering access to computers, a cafè, a performance stage, a small shop were local artists sell their artwork, and most importantly a space where art and sport are encouraged.


Over the course of a week and a half my peers and I have gotten the chance to witness some amazing things going on at TAKS. Eric, a graduate of Gulu University, is head of the dance club there. Everyday after school hours youth from the community have the opportunity to express themselves through dance.



Very recently I got the opportunity to meet Dennis who is head of the boxing team at TAKS. Kirsten, my fellow classmate, and I watched a regular boxing practice. They practice almost everyday with youth from the community who are interested in learning how to box and being a part of a team.


I speak not only for myself but for my peers in saying that TAKS has and continues to be an important part of our experience here in Gulu. We have made countless friends here and continue to see illustrations of the strength and potential that Gulu possesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment