Sunday, July 20, 2014

Ward Rounds

I was very nervous on the first day of my internship. I had yet to visit Lacor Hospital, a Catholic hospital in Gulu. Although I was excited to finally start working and shadowing in the surgery department, I was not sure how things would work out. When I arrived, the hospital was quite large and more spacious than I had envisioned. After settling down in the hospital, I was led to a team of doctors and interns that worked in the department. They warmly took me under their tutelage, and I was quickly thrown into the world of medicine. 

One of the many buildings at Lacor Hospital, which was founded in 1959.

This is the grave of the respected doctor Matthew Lukwiya, who dedicated his life to fight the Ebola outbreak in Gulu. He passed away in 2000 from the disease. 

The entrance to the Surgery 2 department. 

A chart of patient fees displayed at reception in the hospital. 

The front gate of St. Mary's Hospital Lacor. 

Almost everyone I have met has been so welcoming and accepting. I actually feel like I am part of the team, and it is a great relief. They make sure I understand what is happening, yet they also know my limits as an undergraduate student. It has made me more enthusiastic about gaining knowledge and experience from the hospital and from the people that do what they do to serve their community. It has been eye-opening so far; situations have been grim, but also hopeful. There have been tears, but also smiles and apwoyos. I know for a fact I will continue to grow and absorb many kinds of skills and perspectives. Right now, I know this is a great chance for me to think about what I can do not only for myself, but also think about what I can do for the people around me and how I can impact their lives.




No comments:

Post a Comment